Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Wardrobe Wednesday: Casting and Portfolio Options

Hey all!

I spent Saturday morning shooting some much-needed additions to my portfolio with the help of a great team at City Models Africa- this was the first time in a while I had to really decide on my own wardrobe so I thought it would be good to share what I've learned over the years for both portfolio photos and in-the-flesh casting days.

For both occasions, what's most important is to know what suits and flatters your body, invest in pieces that fit you well and have a variety of styles to choose from. To have a strong start and presence in the modelling world, variety is key.

So here we go!
1. For my latest shoot I started with a casual/chic look.

2. What I already have and use as my go-to photos to send to clients who just want to see my face and body is the good old light top and dark bottoms combo. This of course can be accompanied by a good headshot (both front and profile).




In the picture on the left, I knew the background would be white so I avoided the white tank in this instance. If you're going to any kind of shoot and have to use your own clothes, find out about the set beforehand!

3. Lastly, I put together an official/ professional/ bosslady outfit for any possible corporate clients eg. banks, corporate events, etc. As I work in and around Africa at the moment, I think it's best to keep your options open and know that making a living and meeting clients is unlikely just relying on high fashion modelling. In such a market, it could help you to pay attention to commercial opportunities too.



When you're going to a casting or sending photos to a designer/client for a job, it can make all the difference to do your research, find out about their image and philosophy and have photos and/or outfits that are in line with it.

In terms of your skin, hair, nails, etc, that's a whoole other story in preparation for a casting, I gave some of my own tips here a while back...
And here is some more (video) advice from a couple of my favourite model/bloggers:

Leomie Anderson of crackedchinacup.com (video here)
Ruth Crilly of amodelrecommends.com (video here)

Thanks for stopping by!
Bisoux,
J.

xx